51 个回复 | 最后更新于 2017-12-08
2017-08-19   #25
  Acts supposed to be unlucky
  Breaking a mirror
  One of the most common superstitions is that to break a mirror brings death, or seven years of bad luck. It is said that when Napoleon was in Italy fighting in a war, he broke a mirror accidentally which hung over Josephine’s portrait. An idea came into his mind that she had died, and he couldn’t rest until he returned home and saw for himself that she was well and alive.

Spilling salt
  Since ancient times salt has highly valued because it can be used to preserve food, help wounds to heal, and make food tasty. At one time salt was regarded as being almost as valuable as gold, and soldiers, and officials, and working people in Greece and Rome received all or part of their pay in salt. So spilling such a valuable thing has been regarded as a sign that something unlucky is going to happen. Some people believe that if a person has spill salt, he or she may cancel the bad luck by throwing a pinch of salt over the left shoulder.
  题外话:古罗马军人的薪水叫salarium 源于sal(英文salt),即“盐”.英文表示“薪水”的词是salary,既源于salarium,到底还是盐.

2017-09-30   #26
  seven
  seven is used frequently in the Bible to signify completeness.God created the world in six days,and had a rest on the seventh,meaning his job had been done.in this way he set the pattern for the seven-day week.the number also appears frequently in the third book of the Old Testament,in which it is connected with rules of offerings and cleansings.in the sixth book,an angel told Joshua that he and his men should march around the city of Jericho for six days,with the Ark of the Covenant carried in front of them.seven priests blowing trumpets should march in front of the Ark.on the seventh day they must march around the city seven times.the Israelites did exactly as God had told them and finally they broke into the city.the book of Revelation is full of symbolic use of thr number seven in connection with the things of God and his angels,and also the things of Satan and his followers,such as seven spirits,seven stars,seven churches,seven gold candlesticks.superstitions people used to believe that the seventh son of a seventh son was gifted with supernatural powers.three times seven is also lucky.Queen Victoria always had fine weather for her ceremonies because there were twenty-one cannons.since seven seems to be a mysterious number,people have tended to create groups of seven things.for example,there were seven sages in ancient Greece;to Christians there are Seven Virtues:faith,hope,charity,prudence,justice,fortitude,and temperance;and Seven Deadly Sins:pride,wrath,envy,lust,gluttony,avarice,and sloth.there are also "Seven Wonders of the World" .finally,each man's life is divided into seven stages,as Jaques describes in Shakespeare's As You Like It.
  基督徒有七德:信、望、爱、智、义、勇、节。七宗罪:傲、怒、妒、淫、饕、贪、懒。
  附加:古希腊罗马时代人们所认为的世界七大奇观是:埃及的金字塔、巴比伦的空中花园、小亚细亚的摩索拉斯陵墓、以弗所的月神阿尔忒弥斯神庙、罗得岛的巨像、奥林匹亚的宙斯像、法罗斯岛的灯塔。
   而中世纪人们所认为的世界七大奇观是:罗马的大斗兽场、亚历山大的地下墓窟、中国的长城、英格兰的悬石坛、比萨的斜塔、中国南京的瓷塔(琉璃塔)、君士坦丁堡(伊斯坦布尔)的索非亚清真寺。

nine
  according to Greek and Roman Mythology,there were nine muses;the Hydra had nine heads;there were nine rivers of hell;when Vulcan was kicked out of heaven,he fell for nine days before lighted on the island Lemous.according to some Christian theologians,there are nine orders of angels.superstitions people used to believe that to see nine magpies is most unlucky.in english idioms,nine is used to mean"a large number of".for example,people say "nine tailors make a man",because a tailor is not as strong as a catpenter,a blacksmith or a man in any other trades.a cat can survive where other animals hardly can,so people often say,"a cat has nine lives."if a wonder can only last for several days,people may call it"a nine days' wonder".

if a wonder can only last for several days,people may call it"a nine days' wonder".
  再新鲜的事,往往只能轰动一时,人们称之为“九天奇观”。

2017-10-02   #27
  Shamrock
   In Ireland, the shamrock is a common name of the white clover. Shamrock is a type of small herb with leaves made up of three leaflets.
   According to legend, saint Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, planted shamrock in Ireland. When Patrick was preaching, he often used the leaves of the shamrock to explain the Trinity—the union of three persons in one God. Patrick showed the people a shamrock and said, “just as the shamrock has three leaves and one stem, so there are three persons---the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit—in one God.” For this reason, the shamrock was originally chosen as the national symbol of Ireland. Many Irish people wear a shamrock on St. Patrick’s Day, March 17 of each year.
   The shamrock has been considered by the Irish as good-luck symbols since earliest times, and this superstition has persisted in modern times among people of many nationalities. Each leaf of the plant normally has three leaflets, but if a leaf is occasionally found to have four leaflets, it is thought to bring extremely good luck.

2017-10-02   #28
  Acts supposed to be lucky
  Carrying a newborn baby upstairs
  Many people believe a newborn baby must be carried upstairs before being carried downstairs. In this way, the child will be assured of rising in the world and having success.

Giving a purse with money in it
  It is the custom that when a purse or wallet is given as a gift, it has money in it. The giver wants to make sure the purse or wallet will always contain money.

2017-10-02   #29
  Swan—grace.

Tiger—ferocity.
  English idiom: ride the/a tiger: live in a very uncertain or dangerous way.

2017-10-02   #30
  Weeping willow—sorrow.
  In the Bible, one Psalm says:
   By the waters of Babylon,
   There we sat down and wept,
   When we remembered Zion.
   On the willows there we hung our lyres.
  In Shakespeare’s Othello, Desdemona sings a song of willow before she is murdered.

2017-10-02   #31
  Myrtle—love.
  Ancient Greeks thought myrtle was sacred to the godness of love, Aphrodite(Venus)

Oak—strength, sturdiness, majesty, longevity.
  Most oaks live for 200 to 400 years. Oak wood is heavy, hard, and strong. The English people call the oak “the Monarch of the Forest”.

2017-10-02   #32
  Lamb—innocence, meekness, sacrifice.
  A young gentle person may be called a lamb. In the Bible Jesus was called the Lamb of God. English idioms: 1. (as) meek as lamb: very humble, timid, or peaceful. 2. like/as a lamb to the slaughter: without seeming to realize that one is brought into a dangerous situation or even death. 3. March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb: the weather at the beginning of March is often rough and stormy, but by the end of the month the calmer weather of early spring has usually arrived.

Lion—noble courage.
  A person of great courage or strength can be called lion. In the West, the lion is used in numerous emblems and signs.

2017-10-02   #33
  Bear-- Ill-temper.
  English idiom: like a bear with a sore head.(活像一只头疼的熊) Example: I can’t ask the boss for a holiday now because he’s like a bear with a sore head this morning.

Bee -- Industry.
  English idiom: 1. (as) busy as a bee: very busy or active. Ex ample: I’ve been as busy as a bee all morning doing the job I should have done yesterday. 2) a busy bee: a very busy person.

2017-10-02   #34
  好东西哦,大家不要光看不顶
2017-10-02   #35
  Fox—cunning, artifice.
  If a person deceives others by means of clever tricks, he may be said to be a sly old fox. English idiom: 1. crazy like a fox: very clever or not easily deceived. 2. (as) cunning as a fox.

Goat—lecherousness.
  If a man has a desire for continual sexual pleasure, others may call him a goat.

2017-10-02   #36

Sneezing
  Americans believe that one is very close to death when one sneezes, because sneezing can drive the soul from the head, or the life from the body. So to the sneezer they say,“god bless you”, as a charm against the danger of the moment.
  在欧美,打喷嚏意味着死到临头,因为过去有人认为打喷嚏会把灵魂从脑袋里打出去,或者把生命从身体里打出来。于是人们祝福一下,以化解危险 。

When a person’s ears burn others are talking about him. If his right ear burns, they are talking well of him. If his ear burns, they are talking ill.
  耳朵发烧是有人在背后谈论自己。右耳发烧,说的是好话;左耳发烧,说的是坏话。

2017-10-02   #37
  Yew—sorrow.
  Yew trees often grew in English churchyards. Branches of the trees served as funeral decorations, and were twined into wreath s for the heads of the mourners. For this reason, the yew often symbolizes sadness. In Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night, the clown says, “my shroud of white, stuck all with yew.

2017-10-14   #38
  yeah! If his left ear burns, they are talking ill.
  thanks luxiaan

2017-10-15   #39

作者:ranita 回复日期:2007-4-20 13:32:13 
    鸡鸣前,彼得否认耶酥有三次吗?
    不是7次吗?
  ----------------------------
  3 次, 见不同版本

NASB: Jesus answered, "Will you lay down your life for Me? Truly, truly, I say to you, a rooster will not crow until you deny Me three times. (NASB ©1995)
  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  GWT: Jesus replied, "Will you give your life for me? I can guarantee this truth: No rooster will crow until you say three times that you don't know me. (GOD'S WORD®)
  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  KJV: Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied me thrice.
  ASV: Jesus answereth, Wilt thou lay down thy life for me? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied me thrice.
  BBE: Jesus said in answer, Will you give up your life for me? Truly I say to you, Before the cry of the cock you will have said three times that you are not my disciple.
  DBY: Jesus answers, Thou wilt lay down thy life for me! Verily, verily, I say to thee, The cock shall not crow till thou hast denied me thrice.
  WEY: "You say you will lay down your life on my behalf!" said Jesus; "in most solemn truth I tell you that the cock will not crow before you have three times disowned me."
  WBS: Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I say to thee, The cock will not crow, till thou hast denied me thrice.
  WEB: Jesus answered him, "Will you lay down your life for me? Most certainly I tell you, the rooster won't crow until you have denied me three times.
  YLT: Jesus answered him, 'Thy life for me thou wilt lay down! verily, verily, I say to thee, a cock will not crow till thou mayest deny me thrice.'
2017-11-15   #40
  The evil eye
  The evil eye is the power some people are supposed to have to harm people or their possessions by merely looking at them. According to superstition, an evil people who has this power may use it to cause such misfortune as death, illness, or property damage. A people may also have the evil eye without knowing it and cause harm without intention. To avoid the evil eye, many people utter such phrases as “God bless you” or wear the blue beads or other protective charms.

题外话:自己有好的东西,如健康\美貌\值钱的物品等,总怕招来妒忌.别人多看几眼, 就觉得他们不怀好意,恐怕他们暗中使坏.这或许是魔眼说法起源之一. Do you think it? I agree the point.

2017-11-16   #41
  好好看看,非常好的帖子

2017-12-07   #42
  Clover—hope.

Cypress—mourning.
  The Romans considered the tree the sacred tree of Pluto, the god of the underworld, because once it is cut it never grows again. It is said that its wood was once used for making coffins. In Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night, the clown says,
  Come away, come away, death,
  in sad cypress let me be laid;
  fly away, fly away, breath;
  I am slain by a fair cruel maid.
  (来吧,来吧,死神!
  让凄凉的柏棺做我的床;
  去吧,去吧,生的气息,
  害死我的是那美丽的狠心姑娘.)

2017-12-08   #43
  Horse—speed, grace, war; and in Christian art, courage and generosity.
  According to Greek mythology, Poseidon, the god of the sea, and Athena, the golddess of wisdom, argued which of them should give name to Athens. The gods decided that the city should be called by the name of the god who offered the most useful thing for man. Poseidon produced a horse, which Athena produced an olive tree. The gods then decided that Athena won the honour, because the horse was the symbol of war, while the olive tree was symbolic of peace.

Lark—cheerfulness.
  English idiom: (as) happy as a lark.

2017-12-08   #44
  Iris—a message.
  In Greek mythology, iris was the goddess of rainbow and a messenger of gods, particularly of Hera.

Ivy—ever-lasting life.

2017-12-08   #45
  nice

2017-12-08   #46
  Fortunetelling
   Fortunetelling is the practice of trying to guess or predict what will happen in the future. Persons who claim to foretell the future are called fortunetellers.
   Fortunetelling has been especially popular during certain periods of history. For example, the ancient Greeks and Romans believed the gods spoke to them through prophets called oracles. Many people went to oracles for advice about the future. During the Renaissance, the period from about 1300 to about 1600, a type of fortunetelling called astrology became extremely popular in Europe. Some forms of fortunetelling remain popular today as ways of amusement, but many believe in them sincerely. Some methods of telling fortunes are complicated, and fortunetellers often say they are scientific. But scientists consider them to be pseudoscience.
   There are four popular ways to tell fortunes. Some fortunetellers tell what one’s fortune will be by studying the lines, markings, shape, and the size of the person’s hand. This is called palmistry. Fortunetelling by cards is also popular. The person whose fortune is being told may select cards from a deck of playing cards that is lying face down on the table. The cards have meanings for the fortuneteller. The fortuneteller lays down the cards in a pattern on a table and tells the fortune by the order in which the cards appear. One of the most famous methods involves gazing into a crystal ball, in which the fortuneteller is supposed to be able to see a picture of some future event. Another way to tell fortunes is astrology. This way is based on the belief that positions and movements of the sun, the moon, planets, and stars are related to people’s lives.

2017-12-08   #47
  the final exam of this term is just around the corner,so i'm prepared for all the exams.
  next term, i will continue the theme.hope u will stand by me...

2017-12-08   #48
  Rose—love, grace, beauty, happiness. There is no flower as popular and as beloved as the rose in the West. Many people call it the queen of flowers. According to an old legend, Venus, going to Adonis with nectar, stepped on a thorn while getting down her chariot. Blood came from the wound and dropped on the bush, and a little nectar was spilled over it also. Then from where the blood and the nectar mingled, a red rose appeared, because of this story, the rose has been considered the flower of Venus, goddess of love and beauty. English idioms: 1. a bed of roses: a period or situation of peace, pleasure, happiness, etc. 2. come up roses: have a happy or successful result. 3. roses all the way: comfortable, happy, or free from difficulties. 4. gather(life’s) roses: seek pleasure. 5. not all roses: not everything is perfect.
   Different roses may have different significance:
   China rose—grace, beauty.
   Moss rose—love full of sensual pleasure.
   White rose—sadness, misfortune, purity.
   Rose bud—awakening of love.
  中国玫瑰—优雅\美丽
  苔鲜玫瑰—肉欲之爱
  白玫瑰—悲伤\不幸\纯洁
  玫瑰花蕾—情窦初开

2017-12-08   #49
  superstitions about mysterious numbers

One
  this number has the idea of singleness,uniqueness,as well as unity and agreement in purpose and action. Christian God is unique.he does not share his glory with another, as is the case with pagan gods.

Three
  Ancient Greeks believed the number was scared.Pythagoras calls three the perfect number,since everything has three parts-beginning,middle,and end.therefore it is a good symbol of anything related to gods.in Greek and Roman mythology,the world was supposed to be under the rule of three gods.that is,Jupiter(Zeus),the rule of Heaven;Neptune(Poseidon),the ruler of the sea;Pluto(Hades),the king of the Underworld.Jupiter's weapon was three-forked lightning,Neptune's,a trident,and Pluto's,a three-headed dog.the Fates were three,the Furies three,the Graces three.superstitions people believe that man is made up of three parts,that is,body,soul,and spirit.most Christians believe in the doctrine of the Trinity,that is,God is in three persons:the Father,the Son(Jesus Christ),and the Holy Ghost,or Holy Spirit.some Christians also believe that the enemies of man are three:the world,the flesh,and the devil.in the Bible,the baby Jesus was visited by the three Magi;before the cock crowed,Peter denied Jesus for three times.when things are difficult,people think they will be successful the third time.

in Greek and Roman mythology,the world was supposed to be under the rule of three gods.that is,Jupiter(Zeus),the rule of Heaven;Neptune(Poseidon),the ruler of the sea;Pluto(Hades),the king of the Underworld.Jupiter's weapon was three-forked lightning,Neptune's,a trident,and Pluto's,a three-headed dog.
  古希腊罗马神话里,有三个大神统治世界:朱庇特(宙斯)统治天界,尼普顿(波塞冬)君临海洋,普路托(哈得斯)称王冥界.朱庇特的武器是三叉闪电;尼普顿的武器是三叉戟,普路托的武器是三头狗.
  in the Bible,the baby Jesus was visited by the three Magi;before the cock crowed,Peter denied Jesus for three times.when things are difficult,people think they will be successful the third time.
  圣经里,参拜幼子基督的博士有三个;鸡鸣前,彼得否认耶酥有三次.难办的事,头两次失败,一般人认为第三次准能成功.

登录后方可回帖